Correct your vision overnight with Ortho-K
See clearly during the day without glasses or contact lenses
Ortho-K Gentle Vision Shaping is a non-surgical, FDA-approved, solution for children and adults to correct myopia, or nearsightedness. Ortho-K lenses are worn overnight to gently reshape the curvature of the cornea while you sleep. In the morning you simply remove the Ortho-K lenses and enjoy corrected vision during the day without glasses or contact lenses.
We have helped many patients slow down the progression of myopia, and achieve clear daytime vision with 20/20 to 20/30 visual acuity, using our Ortho-K Gentle Vision Shaping System.
Dr. Vadim Guy, OD is a myopia specialist and a certified provider of Orthokeratology in Rochester, NY, for both adults and children. Dr. Guy specializes in pediatric and adolescent eye care, and treating myopia.
Submit the form below to schedule an Ortho-K Consultation with Dr. Guy and begin your journey to clear vision without daytime glasses and contact lenses.
Frequently Asked Questions
IS ORTHO-K GENTLE VISION SHAPING THE SAME AS CRT OR VST?
- Yes! The Orthokeratology vision shaping method is known around the world as: Ortho-K, Corneal Refractive Therapy, CRT, Vision Shaping Treatment, VST, Gentle Shaping System, The Gentle Vision Shaping System, Corneal Molding, Wave Front Corneal Molding, and Gentle Molding.
- The Ortho-K vision shaping lenses that are used to achieve corrected vision are also known as: Retainer Lenses, Vision Retainers, Retainers, Ortho-K Lenses, Corneal Molds, Molds, Wave Lenses, and CRT Lenses.
WHO IS A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR ORTHO-K?
- Ortho-K can be effective on farsighted, nearsighted (myopic), and astigmatic patients. Ideally, the prescription should be in the range of +2.00 to -6.00 with up to -1.75 diopters of surface astigmatism. In some cases patients with higher prescriptions may benefit as well. Dr. Guy will give you an expected outcome during the consultation based on your current prescription and your eye health.
IS ORTHO-K A PERMANENT SOLUTION?
- To achieve and maintain great vision Ortho-K lenses must be worn regularly at night. Patients who wear their Ortho-K lenses as prescribed experience great vision during the day and well into the evening. Some patients are even able to wear their lenses every other night and still maintain their enhanced vision. However, if you completely stop wearing your lenses while sleeping, your vision will return to its original state before Ortho-K.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO ACHIEVE GREAT VISION?
- This depends on the prescription, age, and treatment goals. Higher prescriptions can take 2-4 weeks to achieve good vision for adults. Children’s corneas are more easily molded therefore the results in children are usually quicker. Some patients experience better vision just after one night of wearing the special lenses.
WHAT IS THE SUCCESS RATE OF ORTHO-K?
- The rate of success is very high, but it depends on your current prescription and treatment goals. During your initial consultation Dr. Guy will give you an expected outcome based on your current prescription and the health of your eyes.
IS ORTHO-K COVERED BY MY INSURANCE?
- Ortho-K Gentle Vision Shaping is an elective solution for nearsightedness; therefore, you are responsible for the financial investment. If you consider the cost of purchasing new glasses or daytime contact lenses every year based on your increasing prescription, Ortho-K usually costs less in the long run. Just like every person’s visual needs are different, the financial investment will vary between patients. Your financial investment for Ortho-K will be discussed at the initial consultation.
CAN MY CHILD BENEFIT FROM ORTHO-K?
- Ortho-K is one of the most effective myopia control methods available today. Studies from around the world have indicated that Ortho-K can keep your children’s nearsightedness from getting worse, or in other words Ortho-K can help manage myopia. Increasing nearsightedness is also a risk factor for detached retina and glaucoma. Your child is an especially good candidate if they have a tendency to lose or abuse their contact lenses/glasses, or if wearing them interferes with their active life. Ortho-K is an excellent solution for a child involved in sports who doesn’t want to wear glasses or contacts during the day. Ortho-K is a great solution for children and adults because it’s reversible and not permanent like refractive surgery.
HOW SAFE ARE THE ORTHO-K LENSES?
- They are very safe. Keep in mind that when any type of contact lens is worn, including daytime soft contact lenses, there is a small risk of infection or abnormal blood vessel growth involved. This risk is minimized by: following proper instructions for cleaning, inserting and removing, and storing your lenses, wearing your Ortho-K lenses only as instructed, and by coming in for regular follow ups with your eye doctor. During your Ortho-K Consultation, Dr. Guy will explain all of these steps in detail and provide written instructions for proper use and care of your Ortho-K lenses. Your lenses will also be periodically inspected at your follow up visits.
ARE THERE AGE LIMITATIONS ON WHO CAN WEAR ORTHO-K LENSES?
- No, there are no age limits. Unlike LASIK and refractive surgery, Ortho-K non-surgical, FDA-approved vision correction solution. Young children who have progressing myopia, who don’t want to wear glasses, and who have an active lifestyle, can benefit significantly from Ortho-K. Adults who want clear vision without glasses, or who want a non-surgical alternative to LASIK, can also benefit from Ortho-K.
IF I SUFFER FROM DRY EYES, WILL ORTHO-K STILL WORK?
- Dry eyes are usually not a problem while you sleep as there is little tear evaporation in a closed eye, and Ortho-K lenses are only worn while you sleep. In fact, Orthokeratology is a great solution for those who are unable to wear conventional soft contact lenses due to dry eyes.
I STOPPED WEARING DAYTIME CONTACT LENSES DUE TO DISCOMFORT. AM I STILL A CANDIDATE?
- Yes, Ortho-K lenses reshape the cornea at night while you sleep to give you great daytime vision without glasses or daytime contacts. This greatly reduces any discomfort you may have experienced while wearing soft contact lenses during the day.
ARE ORTHO-K LENSES DIFFICULT TO INSERT AND REMOVE?
- Ortho-K lenses are actually easier to insert and remove than most oxygen permeable lenses, and much easier than soft daytime contact lenses.
HOW OFTEN WILL I NEED TO REPLACE THE ORTHO-K LENSES?
- We recommend replacing your Ortho-K lenses every year. We will provide instructions for proper cleaning and caring of your Ortho-K lenses, and inspect your lenses at your follow up visits. Overused and old lenses that become warped or that have deposits and build up will not allow proper oxygen transmission to the cornea, may lead to infection, and will not produce a consistent treatment.
WHAT IF I LOSE A LENS?
- Ortho-K lenses are different than wearing regular soft contact lenses. If you discontinue wear for one night, your vision may be impaired the next day. We recommend always having a spare pair of Ortho-K lenses as a back up.
HOW MANY HOURS DO I NEED TO WEAR THE LENSES DURING SLEEP TO ACHIEVE GREAT VISION?
- Great results can be achieved in as little as four hours of sleep each night. Some people prefer to sleep for several short time periods of time rather than one consecutive period. This isn’t a problem, just insert your retainer lenses in when you sleep and remove them when you wake up.
WHAT DO I DO ABOUT MY VISION WHILE MY EYES ARE IN THE PROCESS OF RE-SHAPING?
- During the first few days of the Ortho-K process, you may experience great vision for most of the day and need additional vision correction towards the evening. In these scenarios Dr. Guy will either prescribe a soft contact lens or glasses to improve your vision for the remainder of the day. As your eyes stabilize with Ortho-K you will no longer need to wear soft contacts or glasses towards the evening.
CAN I SEE WHILE WEARING MY ORTHO-K LENSES BEFORE BED?
- Yes, the Ortho-K lenses allow you to see.
CAN I STOP ORTHO-K AT ANY TIME?
- Yes, Ortho-K is non-surgical therefore it’s completely reversible. If you want to stop at any time, you can, and your vision will return to it’s original state before you began Ortho-K.
Call or Text 585-427-0780 to Schedule an Ortho-K Consultation
or submit the form above to find out if you’re a candidate for Ortho-K. Dr. Guy will take the time to explain everything in detail during your Ortho-K Consultation!